Update a WordPress plugin with FTP
Some premium or custom WordPress plugins may not allow you to update from within WordPress. In this case you'll need to upload a copy of the newest version's files using FTP.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- Navigate to the directory containing your WordPress site.
- Upload your plugin to the /wp-content/plugins directory.
- If your plugin is zipped, you will need to unzip it. (cPanel / Plesk /
Web & Classic)
Note: If you do not have a way to unzip the file on the server, you will have to unzip the file locally and then upload the unzipped directory of files.
Your plugin should now be updated.
- Return to Install, activate, or update a plugin in WordPress.
- For more information about our premium support for WordPress, please visit our WP Premium Support Catalog.