About .es Domains
The .es country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) is an extension that represents Spain and español. The information below also applies to the following country-code second-level domains (ccSLDs):
- .com.es — Intended for commercial entities
- .nom.es — Intended for personal names
- .org.es — Intended for noncommercial entities
Domain names can be up to 63 characters, with a minimum of three characters, and can contain letters (a to z), numbers (0 to 9), and hyphens (except at the beginning, end, or third and fourth characters in the domain name). You cannot register domain names with special characters such as & and #.
|Who can register .es domains?||Details below1|
|Domain name restrictions||None|
|Registration length||1-5 years|
|Renewal length||1-5 years|
|Renewal restrictions||Details below2|
|Transfers to GoDaddy||Details below3|
|Transfers away||Details below4|
|Private registration||Not supported|
|Protected registration||Not supported|
|Account change||Details below5|
|Expiration/redemption||Please contact customer support|
|Refund policy||See below7|
1 Registration restrictions
Anyone/any company can register .es domain names on a first-come, first-served basis, however, everyone/every company has to provide an ID number from a government issued ID (i.e. driver's license, passport, tax ID card, company registration number, VAT number). If the registrant of the domain name is an individual, the domain name registrant and its administrative contact must match.
2 Renewal restrictions
Your .es domain name must renew prior to its expiration date. The renewal date depends on whether you manually renew it or let us auto-renew it.
You can manually renew your .es domain name in the Domain Manager when it is within 1 year of expiration. For more information, see Renew my domain.
If you do not manually renew your domain name, we attempt auto-renewal 54 days prior to its expiration date. If our auto-renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt auto-renewal 45 days prior to expiration. If our second attempt at auto-renewal fails, we make a final attempt 35 days prior to expiration.
If our final attempt to auto-renew the domain name fails and you did not manually renew it, we will park your domain and you must redeem it. There might be a redemption fee. See Recovering expired domain names for redemption instructions.
3 Transfers-In requirements
See Transfer my domain to GoDaddy for information on the transfer process. Note that .es transfers are unique in three ways:
- The domain name does not have to be unlocked to be available for transfer.
- You do not need to use an authorization codes. When transferring in, leave the authorization code field blank and just click on the authorization box to proceed.
- The Whois Admin contact receives an email containing approve and cancel links and has up to 10 days to approve or cancel the transfer. If the Whois Admin contact approves the transfer within 10 days, the transfer is complete.
- Due to registry limitations, no extra registration time is added to a .es domain name when you transfer it to us.
4 Transfers-Away requirements
The same registry rules exist as with transferring a .es domain name to us. Check with your new registrar for exact information on beginning the transfer process. The domain name does not need to be unlocked to be available for transfer.
5 Account change requirements
When you move a .es domain name, the registrant's first name, last name, and company name cannot be changed.
6 Contact Updates Requirements
To change the registrant or admin information on your .es domain name, please contact our support department. All other contact information can be changed through the Domain Manager in your GoDaddy account.
7 Refund policy
For details on refunds, please visit GoDaddy's Refund Policy page.Most domains will follow the Standard Terms, but certain domains will have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Look under BOTH of the following categories:
- Products with Special Refund Terms (look under Domain Name Registrations/Renewals)
- Products Not Eligible for Refunds